Five dead following shooting at Mississippi hotel Wednesday morning
Five people dead following a shooting at a Mississippi hotel Wednesday morning – including suspected gunman who engaged in a two-hour standoff with local police after barricading himself inside nearby business
- Three people were shot and killed at a hotel in Biloxi around 9 am Wednesday morning. Police say the suspect fled the scene to Gulfport
- Roughly 30 minutes later, police say they received a report of an armed car jacking involving the suspect, who assaulted another man, who has since died
- Cops caught up with the suspect on 28th street, who then ditched the car and ran inside a convenience store a few miles away from the hotel
- Cops then engaged in a standoff with the suspect for two hours, police say
- Cops say they attempted to make contact with the suspected gunman inside the store and deployed tear gas after the suspect failed to respond to their calls
- Two hours later, police entered the gas station and found the suspect dead
- Cops say a cause of death for the suspect was not immediately apparent
Five people are dead following a shooting at a Mississippi hotel Wednesday morning, including the suspected gunman who engaged in a two-hour standoff with local police after the incident.
Cops say the shooting transpired around 9 am CT at a Broadway Inn Express in Biloxi, where the unidentified, now-deceased suspect shot and killed the hotel’s owner and two staffers.
Cops identified the victims as 51-yar-old Mohammad Moeini, owner of the hotel; 61-year-old Laura Lehman, an employee who was staying at the hotel; and 55-year-old Chad Green, who also lived and worked at the establishment.
The suspect then fled the scene to the neighboring town of Gulfport – about 13 miles west of Biloxi – cops say, where he reportedly carjacked and assaulted another man roughly 30 minutes after the initial attack, near Rio Grande Street.
The man, a public works staffer contracted by the City of Gulfport, was hospitalized and has since died, police said Wednesday afternoon.
After receiving a call reporting the carjacking, cops caught up with the suspect almost immediately, near Canal and 28th street, according to local police.
Cops say the shooting transpired around 9 am CT at a Broadway Inn Express in Biloxi, where the unidentified, now-deceased suspect shot and killed the hotel’s owner, a staffer, and a guest. The victims have yet to be named
The suspect then fled the scene, reportedly carjacking and assaulting another man roughly 30 minutes after the attack on the hotel. The man was hospitalized and has since died, police say
The suspect then ditched the car and ran inside a nearby convenience store, cops say.
A bitter standoff between the suspect and Gulfport police then ensued, with cops barricading the area as they attempted to make contact with the suspected gunman.
Roughly two hours later, after the suspect failed to respond to officers’ calls, police deployed tear gas inside inside the store, Canal Grocery, and entered the establishment, to find the suspect dead.
Outlets initially reported that the suspect had taken a hostage inside the store during the standoff – reports that police denied to DailyMail.com Wednesday.
Cops say a cause of death for the suspected gunman was not immediately apparent. Officials have yet to identify the suspect.
After the initial shooting, WLOX News spoke with the daughter of the deceased hotel owner, who said the shootout started after an argument about money between the suspect and her father.
Police are currently investigating the incident.
This is a developing story; please check back for more updates.
Five people are now dead following the shooting, including the suspected gunman who engaged in a two-hour standoff at a convenience store with police after the carjacking
Source: Read Full Article