Frank Atwood execution: Arizona inmate put to death for murder of 8-year-old girl as strange last meal request revealed | The Sun

A SECOND Arizona death row inmate has been executed nearly 40 years since he murdered an eight-year-old girl.

Frank Atwood, 66, was put to death on Wednesday, marking the state's second execution in less than a month.

The execution began at 10.04am and Atwood was pronounced dead at 10.16am local time, prison officials said.

He was put to death by lethal injection, with officials calling it "very clinical." IVs were put in both arms, according to reports.

"He [Atwood] seemed to accept his fate. He did not apologize in his last words," officials said, saying they were "surprised" by that.

Other officials and reporters called it "very peaceful," calling the execution "calm" and saying there were "no jerking movements."


Coroner reveals what happens to Texas school shooter’s body after massacre

One reporter who witnessed the execution said it appeared that Atwood was snoring at one point before he took his last breaths. He also said the only sound in the room was Atwood's wife crying.

A priest was there with Atwood before the execution was carried out.

Atwood's execution is the second in the state of Arizona this year, following an eight year hiatus.

He declined a last meal saying he was fasting, but later accepted snacks.

Most read in US News


Girl who used friend's blood to survive Texas massacre wells up at hearing


US gun violence kills 700 including 80 kids in 2wks since Texas shooting


I was kidnapped & abused for weeks aged 8 by 'night-vision' killer


Paedo cult leader 'put hit out on me' after making me his 65th wife

His last meal consisted of salami, mustard, peanut butter, jelly, wheat bread, a snack bag of tortilla chips, and a drink of either water or a juice packet.

Atwood was convicted of the 1984 murder of eight-year-old Vicki Lynne Hoskinson in Tucson.

Hoskinson was kidnapped and murdered. Atwood was convicted in 1987.

Friends and neighbors of Hoskinson have gathered outside of the state prison where the execution was taking place, along with people protesting the death penalty, according to AZ Central reporter Chelsea Curtis.

Hoskinson's mom, Debbie Carlson, was in attendance for the execution.

Addressing reporters after the execution, Carlson said, "Today marks final justice for our daughter, Vicki Lynne."

“Our family has waited 37 years, eight months and 22 days for this day to come.”

"Vicki was a vibrant little girl with an infectious laugh and a smile that would melt your heart."

Carlson spoke about her daughter's love of her family and spending time with them, including her grandparents.

"People say she was a mini-me. I'm really proud of that," Carlson said through tears.

Read More On The Sun

I was kidnapped & abused for weeks aged 8 by ‘night-vision’ killer

Khloe Kardashian’s ‘disgusting’ tweets to Kanye West’s ex exposed

"I hope you're proud of us and how we've carried on your legacy."

The US Supreme Court denied a request for a stay of execution, Atwood's attorney's said earlier on Wednesday.

    Source: Read Full Article