Madeleine McCann latest news: Prime suspect named as ‘Christian B’ after prosecutors say they ‘know how she was killed’ – The Sun

GERMAN police have revealed a new prime suspect in connection with the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

The drug-dealing paedophile 43, named only as "Christian B", is behind "multiple" attacks on little girls and raped an American pensioner while living in Portugal.

German prosecutors also revealed they believe Madeleine McCann is dead and they know how she was killed.

The British toddler was three years old when she disappeared from a Portuguese resort on a family holiday in 2007.

Kate and Gerry McCann have never given up hope she would be found alive.

Cops said the suspect is a prolific burglar with previous convictions for sex crimes against young girls.

He has been linked to the Praia da Luz area between 1995 and 2007, with some short spells in Germany, and was known to police for drug offences.

The suspect has also been described as having a "transient lifestyle", living in his camper van for days at a time.

Follow our live blog below for all the latest news and updates.

  • CHRISTIAN B'S PREVIOUS CONVICTIONS

    • First breaking and entering conviction – 1992
    • First sex crime aged 17 – 1994
    • Manufacturing and trafficking of drugs – March 2008
    • Assault – November 2015
    • Child pornography – June 22, 2017
    • Sexual abuse of children – July 3, 2017
    • Drugs violation – October 2018
    • Drugs violation – July 24, 2019
    • Rape – December 2019
    • Drugs violation – May 19, 2020

    MADELEINE DOC TRENDING ON NETFLIX

    'The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann' is now trending on Netflix as fans rush to refresh their memory of the case.

    The controversial documentary was launched in March last year, just before the 12th anniversary of her disappearance.

    Gerry and Kate McCann famously refused to have anything to do with the documentary, saying that it could ” hinder” the investigation.

    In a statement, the couple said: “We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine's disappearance.

    “The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate.

    “We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.”

    “Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme.

    “We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme.”

    PRIME SUSPECT ABUSING CHILDREN SINCE AGE 17

    The prime suspect in the “murder” of Madeleine McCann is a lifelong paedophile who committed his first child sex crime aged 17.

    The German criminal, named as Christian B, 43, was convicted of abusing of children back in 1994 – a year before he is believed to have moved to Portugal where the British girl vanished in 2007.

    Christian B has a total of 17 convictions, according to SPIEGEL.

    He is currently serving a seven-year sentence in the German city of Kiel for the horrific rape of an American pensioner in 2006 in the Algarve.

    DNA was found at the scene, in the form of a body hair on a bed sheet, resulted in his conviction last year.

    For the full story, click HERE.

    GERMAN PAEDO BRAGGED ABDUCTION ON 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF MADDIE DISAPPEARANCE

    Madeleine McCann's paedo suspect told a pal he snatched the toddler on the tenth anniversary of her disappearance, it is claimed.

    Christian B, 43, has today been unmasked as the prime suspect in the youngster's disappearance in Praia da Luz, Portugal in May 2007, in a bombshell breakthrough.

    He was reportedly chatting to the friend in Germany when a TV report came on about the tenth anniversary of the girl's disappearance and he suggested he knew what had happened to her.

    German sources claim he boasted he had “snatched her” but didn’t say he had killed her.

    Christian B then allegedly showed a video of himself raping a 72-year-old tourist in Portugal in 2005, which he was later convicted and jailed for eight years over.

    Sky News reported: “He was in a bar in Germany with another man, around the tenth anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance. A report came on the TV and he said something to suggest that he knew what happened.

    “He also allegedly showed a video of himself raping a woman. Video of the rape led to an investigation that last year meant he was convicted of the rape of a tourist on the Algarve in around 2005.

    “That is what brought him back into the frame.”

    For the full story, click HERE.

    KATE and Gerry McCann refuse to believe their daughter Madeleine is dead until her body is found, a close friend has said.

    The the heartbroken mum and dad said all they want is to “uncover the truth” and “bring those responsible to justice”.

    A pal said the couple “remain on tenterhooks” as they anxiously await updates – hopeful this could be a breakthrough to bring their daughter home.

    They said: “German police are now leading on this inquiry and are treating it as murder.

    “But what proof officers have got has not been spelt out at this stage. Until a body is found and it is proved to be Madeleine’s, Kate and Gerry are not giving up hope.”

    Kate and Gerry McCann pose with a picture of Maddie days after she went missing in 2007

    German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters told a press conference today: 'We think that Madeleine McCann is dead and are appealing for witnesses.

    The 43 year old suspect is a multiple sexual predator already convicted of crimes against little girls'.   

    Gerry and Kate McCann's spokesman Clarence Mitchell told MailOnline this afternoon the family still have hope she's alive but are “realistic” about her fate.

    Clarence Mitchell, the longtime spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, said: “Kate and Gerry do feel it’s potentially very significant. They have welcomed the appeal; they’re not doing any interviews themselves about it because they wish the focus to remain on the police request rather than they themselves.”

    A former neighbour said Christian 'B' rented a farm building from an English owner from the mid-90s, leaving a year before Madeleine disappeared.

    They told Sky news: “He was always a bit angry, driving fast up and down the lane, and then one day, around 2006, he just disappeared without a word. I think he left some rent unpaid.”

    About six months later, I was asked to help clean up the place and it was disgusting, absolutely vile.

    It had been trashed, with broken stuff like computers all over the place.

    We found a bin bag and inside were wigs and exotic clothing, whether just fancy dress or something stranger I couldn't tell.”

    The house the suspect rented in Portugal

    THE British police probe that led to the crucial breakthrough in the hunt for Madeleine McCann began with a letter to the PM – delivered by The Sun.

    Nine years ago, on the day of Maddie's eighth birthday, we took the plea by parents Kate and Gerry straight to the door of No10.

    With no leads and no progress for four long years, the McCanns were desperate to reignite the global search for their daughter.

    Kate, then 43, told us: “I hope Mr Cameron will take responsibility for one of his most vulnerable citizens.

    “Madeleine is not disposable. She should not be dismissed and brushed aside as 'just one child from just one family'.“

    She's a British child, she's still missing, and she matters.”

    Just two days later, the PM replied to the couple, pledging “new action”.

    Christian 'B' is battling to be freed from prison with a rape convinction appeal, it is understood.

    He was jailed in December after raping a 72-year-old American woman in Portugal.

    But he denied the crime and has launched a legal challenge against his conviction that will be considered by the European Court of Justice.

    The Braunschweiger Zeitung reported that the man’s defence lawyer called for him to be acquitted during the trial and appealed to Germany’s Federal Court of Justice.

    Jim Gamble, who was the UK's most senior child protection police officer when Madeleine McCann went missing, admitted that the investigation was “bungled”.

    This Morning host Phillip Schofield asked: “This is substantial stuff here, how come it's taken so long?”

    Jim replied: “The truth is, the beginning of this investigation in my opinion , was bungled.

    “That's not a direct criticism of the Portuguese police, it's a reflection of the fact these cases are very rare.”

    He added: “Lots of pieces of information in the beginning, I discovered from the review I carried out, weren't kept together.”

    Police say the German peado is white and slim, with short blond hair, a description similar to one given by Scotland Yard in 2013 of a man seen near the McCann's apartment in the hours before Madeleine vanished.

    An e-fit released in 2011 shows a slim, white man and was previously linked to German serial killer Martin Ney, but he has since been ruled out as a suspect.

    Braunschweig state prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said of the suspect today: “It is a sexual offender that has been convicted several times also for sexual abuse against children.

    This was an efit circulated around 2011 and was linked to being Martin Ney at the time but he has since been ruled out as a suspect

    The spokesman for Madeleine McCann’s family has taken a swipe at vicious trolls who have targeted her parents.

    Kate and Gerry McCann have faced years of online abuse and mocking since three-year-old went missing.

    The couple have been hounded by social media trolls who accused them of playing a role in her disappearance from a Portugese resort 13 years ago.

    Clarence Mitchell told Good Morning Britain: “Anybody who believes that Kate and Gerry were involved are categorically wrong.

    “And sadly if this proves to be the man responsible and we find out the fate of Madeleine in time, then a lot of people on social media will have to take a long hard look at themselves and what they've said over the years.”

    The PM’s spokesman said that any decisions concerning extradition and charging would be a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service.

    Up until April this year there had been £12.3 million in funding for Operation Grange, the investigation into Madeleine McCann’s disappearance.

    The Prime Minister’s spokesman said: “The Home Office maintains an ongoing dialogue with the Met around funding for Operation Grange and regularly reviews its progress.”

    The suspect has now been named as 'Christian B'

    A half-hour phone call was made to Christian B's phone an hour before Madeleine's disappearance.

    The Met Police's investigation has identified more than 600 people as being potentially significant over the years.

    Officers tipped off about the German national, already known to detectives, following a 2017 appeal 10 years after she went missing.

    Madeleine vanished shortly before her fourth birthday and would have turned 17 last month.

    MADELEINE McCann's paedo suspect told a pal he snatched the toddler on the tenth anniversary of her disappearance, it is claimed.

    Christian B, 43, has today been unmasked as the prime suspect in the youngster's disappearance in Praia da Luz, Portugal in May 2007, in a bombshell breakthrough.

    He was reportedly chatting to the friend in Germany when a TV report came on about the tenth anniversary of the girl's disappearance and he suggested he knew what had happened to her.

    Christian B then allegedly showed a video of himself raping a 72-year-old tourist in Portugal in 2005, which he was later convicted and jailed for eight years over.

    THE GERMAN paedo may be a “scapegoat” according to a controversial Portuguese detective who once led the 2007 case.

    Goncalo Amaral made the explosive allegation that a German child sex offender would become the focus of Scotland Yard's investigation during an interview in April.

    Cops have charged the German and say it is likely she has been murdered.

    Mr Amaral, who was taken off the case after criticising some lines of inquiry by UK detectives, said in an interview with nine.com.au: “[Operation Grange detectives] are preparing the end of the investigation, with a German paedophile who is in prison right now.”

    Goncarlo Amaral claimed Kate and Gerry McCann faked the abduction of their daughter[/caption]

    Downing Street said the latest developments appeared to be significant.

    A spokesman added that Number 10's thoughts were with the McCann family “who have had to endure so much”.

    “The police have said that this appears to be a significant development in the case,” The PM's official spokesman said.

    “The investigation is ongoing and I am not in a position to comment any further.

    “Our thoughts remain with Madeleine's family, who have had to endure so much over the past 13 years.”

    COPS admit they believe McCann is dead as they arrest a drug-dealing German paedophile called 'Christian B'.

    We cannot reveal his full identity due to German privacy laws. But he was born in Germany in 1976 but moved to Portugal in his late teens.

    He was jailed in Germany last year for seven years for the rape of an American woman in Portugal two years before Maddie went missing, it's reported.

    He is understood to be appealing the rape conviction. Braunschweig state prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said today: “The public prosecutor's office in Braunschweig is investigating a 43-year-old German national on suspicion of murder.

    THE prime suspect in the Madeleine McCann investigation is believed to be “Christian B” – as German cops say they think the missing girl is dead.

    A new suspect in the infamous disappearance was yesterday revealed as a German paedo, in a huge breakthrough in the 13-year investigation.

    The 43-year-old prisoner was not officially named by British cops but was living in a campervan in Portugal around the time the three-year-old vanished on May 3, 2007.

    And he has now been unmasked as 43-year-old drifter “Christian B”.

    The suspect was born in Germany in 1976 but moved to Portugal in his late teens.

    Source: Read Full Article