Rider flung from Tennessee roller coaster, lands on tracks

More On:

roller coasters

Raptors are nesting on Jurassic World’s raptor-themed rollercoaster

California shout down: No screaming on roller coasters under state’s COVID-19 plan

America’s longest mountain roller coaster opens in New York

Disney’s Space Mountain roller coaster to become live-action movie

A passenger on a popular Tennessee mountain coaster was left “seriously” injured this week after being flung about 10 feet from the ride’s cart and landing onto the tracks, reports said.

The terrifying incident unfolded Monday on the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster in Gatlinburg.

The unidentified rider “flew out of the cart while entering the curve just past the Kodak camera,” according to an incident report obtained by Fox News.

The rider suffered injuries to the head, wrist and ankle and was hospitalized after being hurled from the cart, according to the news outlet.

The coaster was closed following Monday’s incident, but was permitted to reopen the next day per a letter from the state’s Amusement Device Unit to Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster owner Jon Ogle, Fox News reported.

The letter, which described the victim’s injuries as “serious,” confirmed that a third-party investigator deemed the coaster to be in compliance with “applicable industry standards,” the site said.

Tennessee’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development, which oversees the Amusement Device Unit, has sent a compliance officer to Gatlinburg to gather “additional information,” a rep said, according to the news outlet.

The coaster winds through the Great Smoky Mountains at speeds of up to 35-miles-per hour, according to the attraction’s Web site.

“Are you brave enough to say no to the brakes and reach the highest coaster speed you can? Experience up to seven full minutes filled with zips and plunges as you glide through the trees and around the curves. Ride alone or double up for twice the fun!” the Web site says.

In 2016, a woman was reportedly suffered serious injuries after being ejected from the same ride.

The ride was shut down in the aftermath, but allowed to reopen about 10 days later, WBIR-TV reported.

A third-party inspector looked at the ride several times before it was permitted to again reopen, the news site said.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article